Shane W. Dittmar is a 22-year-old music educator and composer of vocal music, including choral, art song, musical theatre, and commercial styles. A native of Raleigh, NC, he is currently studying Music Education at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. His music is shaped by his unique view of the world; Shane is legally blind, and so he strives to create, in his musical endeavors, sincere expressions of landscapes, stories, and emotions you don’t need sight to experience.
As a vocalist, Shane has had the opportunity to perform as a member of several wonderful ensembles, including auditioned choirs at both the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Elon University; the North Carolina Summer Institute for Choral Arts; the North Carolina Music Educators Association Honors Chorus; and the mixed choir at the North Carolina Governor’s School, which he attended in the summer of 2011. He has also performed his own music in several concert settings, and, in 2015, was named the winner of the inaugural Blind Idol competition, a state-wide singing competition sponsored by Winston-Salem Industries for the Blind.
Shane has worked extensively in musical theatre, including as a composer and arranger for Raleigh Little Theatre’s annual production of Cinderella; a composer for productions by Art Stream, a group devoted to making the theatrical process accessible for those with disabilities; and as the musical director for productions including Pippin, Bat Boy, and Rent. “Musical director and keyboardist Shane Dittmar,” wrote the Raleigh News and Observer of North Raleigh Arts and Creative Theatre’s production of Rent, “…gives the rock score proper power but also great subtlety and warmth when needed.”
Shane’s choral works include “Annunciation to the Shepherds,” a setting of verses from Luke 2, which was premiered in December of 2015 by the North Carolina Master Chorale Chamber Singers, and “Cantate,” a psalm setting that received its premier in May of 2015 by the Sanderson High School Sandpipers of Raleigh, NC, and is published by Hinshaw Music.
- So excited to music-direct this production! twitter.com/RLT1936/status… 1 day ago
- Really wish I could love @squarespace. Too bad their editor isn’t accessible enough with screne readers. Can’t reliably edit or create pages 6 days ago
- Dear Netflix: Yes, I am still watching. And I have been still watching all four times you’ve asked. Unrelated: What is the sun? Is it warm? 6 days ago
- I’m a little embarrassed by the amount of over-production on BOCA 2015. This stuff makes your group sound fake, not cool. 3 weeks ago
- Great job to Elon’s @Rip_Chord for their fall 2015 concert performance of my arrangement of @thescript‘s Superheros youtube.com/watch?v=0PDj-g… 3 weeks ago